Sunday, July 26, 2015

Order in the Court!



Have you ever judged a reader by the genre and/or the intended audience?  It's time to 'fess up.  I have.  I regularly step on toes.  Don't always mean to, but that's life in the world of Sarah Leigh.  It happens.  I'll use Twilight and Fifty Shades of Grey as examples.  I'm not a fan.  I'm just not.  I catch myself rolling my eyeballs when I hear someone gushing about how fantastic these books are and in all honesty, it isn't fair of me.  I'm a snob.  I shouldn't expect everyone else to see it as poorly written just because I see it thusly.  And the Grey?  Oh, I'll spare you my thoughts on that, but only because I'm trying to remind myself not to rain on anyone else's parade.  I will say that it bothers me that the two examples I have used are considered literary greats.  I can't wrap my mind around it.  I'm trying to be less eye rollin'-like when I see people reading something which doesn't strike my fancy.

I would be remiss if I didn't mention that I have a friend who loves both series and she is flippin' awesome.  She's an intelligent, amusing girl/hardcore feminist, which just proves the concept of to each their own.

2 comments:

  1. Hi there friend! You are a book snob but I do heart you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's true, but in the spirit of fairness, I have been trying to be better. I don't always succeed, but the other day, one of my officers said they loved the Grey series. My eyeballs didn't roll once AND I am proud to say that I didn't say anything negative. I didn't have anything positive to say about it, so I just went with a "glad you found something which arrests your attention!"

      Delete